September 14, 2012

And she turns my world upside down


I used to have a lot of principles about how I will be as a mom:

  • I will NOT co-sleep. Never! Too scary. Plus the beds are made for parents
  • I will NOT breastfeed. I wasn't breastfed and I'm still alive! Plus, I want my freedom and I want the dad to have his share of the work.
  • My kids will have their own room as soon as they are old enough to sleep through the night. 
  • My kids will NEVER eat processed food as long as I can control it.
  • I will keep traveling with them and make them discover the beauty of the world.
  • Baby girls are boring. I will have a baby boy first.

So far, I can check two boxes out of six. The four others have been swept away the day I gave birth to Alia Florentina, 6 months ago.

First of all and obviously, I had a girl. And this is the best thing in the world!
We have a crib, nice crib, with the changing table and all. She used it three times in the past 6 months. 
She doesn't even have a room yet. 
She doesn't like to drink from a bottle as she is breastfeeding: it is my favorite part of being a mom and I'm even wondering what was I thinking when I thought I would want to be anywhere else than with my baby!

I was right about the two most important things of my list.
I love to prepare her food with fresh product and I will not give her something to eat if I could not eat it myself. Seeing her face as she discovers new tastes is priceless and I get to eat more healthy too (or at least I try. Or at least, it's in my future plans...)
She already took her first plane when she was two weeks old (from Manila where I gave birth to our home-island, Boracay) and at 6 months old, she already went to Malaysia, France and Switzerland.

I guess we are raising her to be a perfect little travel buddy.
But, this will be a topic for a future post!

I realize having a baby is nothing like you can imagine. It doesn't change who you are but it changes something deep inside you. 
You discover what love is. And pain, tiredness, patience... 

You grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment